80% of social media views come from mobile, so it s important to understand how image sizes are displayed differently on mobile and desktop.
In this post, we ve compiled information on social media images, as well as some professional tips on how to make these images work effectively.
Facebook continues to be the largest platform in terms of average daily users. According to Zephoria, 1.79 billion people visit Facebook every day. The platform is constantly updating the requirements for images and content – you need to constantly keep abreast of events in order to use it as efficiently as possible. For best results, be sure to view all of your images on desktop and mobile.
Features of each Facebook image format.
Profile picture displayed at 170 x 170 pixels on desktop, 128 x 128 pixels on smartphones and most other phones 36×36; the image is square, placed in a circle.
Remember that if someone clicks on a photo to open it, it will be larger. If you have the opportunity to enlarge a photo, make sure it is of high quality. The aspect ratio should be square. When choosing a design, keep in mind that Facebook will crop it into a circle, so any text or important elements should be inside the circle.
Page cover: minimum 400×105 pixels, display on desktop 820 x 312 pixels; 640 x 360 pixels on mobile phones.
Remember that the cover image on a computer will display differently than on a mobile phone. On a mobile device, your image will be displayed at 640 x 360, so only the average 640 pixels will be visible.
Video page cover: minimum 820 x 312 pixels, 820 x 462 pixels recommended.
One of the most underutilized options for Facebook covers is video. You can interview your team, showcase your products, show top performing ads, or create a direct invitation to like your page. Videos must be 20–90 seconds long and 820 x 462 pixels in size.
If the video seems too large, a slideshow is an alternative. You can add up to 5 different photos to be displayed in slideshow format. The first image will still get the most views, you can maximize that space to showcase products, testimonials, or other key information.
Facebook video thumbnail: 1280 x 720 pixels recommended. The thumbnail size can be adjusted in the same way as the YouTube thumbnail: 1280 x 720 pixels or 16: 9. more Facebook video views!
News feed post: 1080 x 1080 pixels are recommended (but maybe 600 x 600 pixels).
There are a few other important guidelines to follow when creating an image for your news feed:
- Ratios from 1.91: 1 to 4: 5 are supported.
- Recommended size is at least 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Minimum 600 x 600 pixels
- Maximum file size 30 MB
You can get creative. Try to remember everything you know about your audience and what images they would like to see.
Facebook Events Banner: 1200 x 628 pixels. Facebook recommends an image size of 1200 x 628 pixels. But, like the Facebook page cover, it will look different on a computer and on a mobile device.
Profile picture: at least 110 x 110 pixels; recommended 170 x 170
If you don t add a profile picture and connect your Instagram and Facebook accounts, Instagram will use your Facebook profile picture.
Since Instagram is a purely mobile platform, you can also scale down your Instagram profile picture if you like. Even 110 x 110 pixels will look great on mobile devices. The square image will be cropped to a circle on this platform.
Publication size: 1080 x 1080 pixels. Technically, any square image at least 600 x 600 pixels in size will work.
Story size: 1080 x 1920
You can create stories with images ranging from 1: 9 to 9:16, but often the image is small with a lot of background. You will get better results if you create images specifically for stories (in this case, the ratio for mobile devices is 9:16 or 1080 x 1920 pixels). Of course, don t forget that images are just the beginning of the story. It is worth using stickers, polls and live broadcasts!
Actual stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels, with visible center circle
Trending Stories are a great way to categorize your content and make your stories accessible to your audience. You can even use them to create categories of products for sale. You have the option to set any of your stories in the dedicated category as an image, or you can create your own images. The customized images look incredibly professional and almost turn your Instagram into a mini-site that users can view. Images for Trending Stories are the same size as stories in general, but only the circle from the story is displayed.
We also suggest reading some more tips on how to make your Instagram ads more effective.
Unlike Facebook, which has a lot of variability, Twitter is pretty straightforward. If you can memorize some of the key design numbers for different social media image sizes, you re done.
- Profile picture: 400 x 400 pixels. Like Facebook, it will be cropped into a circle, so keep that in mind when choosing a design.
- Cover image: 1500 x 500 pixels (top and bottom 60 pixels can be cropped)
- Message size: 1200 x 675 pixels (16: 9 ratio) or more, less than 5 MB.
- Twitter GIF: 1280 x 1080 pixels, less than 15 MB, less than 350 frames
YouTube has updated its settings in recent years. Now you can add watermarks to images, tag image thumbnails and add channel images.
- Profile picture: minimum 98 x 98 pixels or more, PNG or static GIF, 4 MB or less. Remember that in most cases your YouTube profile picture will appear rather small (like in the comments). This is why you only need a 98 x 98 pixel image. Of course, you can do more if you keep the file size under 4MB.
- Channel title: 2048 x 1152 pixels, 6 MB or less; 2,560 x 1440 is recommended. The layout of the feed appears fairly consistent on mobile and desktop. Since the profile picture is below the picture, it doesn t interfere with the design either.
- Video thumbnail: 1280 x 720 pixels. If you are spending time creating videos, then it is worth spending it on creating thumbnails. Thumbnails are a quick and easy way to understand what a video is about and why viewers should watch it. Here you can save a little time and make one thumbnail for Facebook and YouTube, because they are both 1280 x 720 pixels.
- Video watermark: 150 x 150 pixels, 1 MB or less. Anyone who has been creating content for a while knows how frustrating it is when someone steals your content. You can make life harder for those who do it by adding a 150 x 150 px watermark that YouTube will automatically add to all your videos.
In contact with
- Community avatar: miniatures – 200 x 200 pixels, minimum avatar size – 200 x 500 pixels.
- Community front cover: 1590 x 400 pixels, in the mobile version only part of it is displayed – 1196 x 400 pixels. We need padding around the edges – 85 pixels at the top and 140 pixels at the edges.
- Live cover: up to five images with a resolution of 1080 × 1920 pixels in a vertical format with an aspect ratio of 16: 9. Or up to five videos, with or without audio. Duration no more than 30 seconds, MP4 format, up to 30 MB.
- Images for records: 510 x 510 pixels or 3: 2 aspect ratio.
- Article cover: 510 x 286 pixels.
- Snippet cover: 537 x 240 pixels.
- Photo album cover: 1200 x 800 pixels.
- Pictures for product showcase: 1000 x 1000 pixels
- Community Videos: 1280 x 720 pixels.
- Photos and videos for stories: 720 x 1280 pixels.
Check if all your profiles are up to date? If not, maybe now is the time to do a social media audit and see how soon you can get it done!