More than 50% of marketers choose blogging as their top priority in content marketing to drive customer engagement into the sales funnel. Statistically, blog sites have 440% indexed pages. How do you succeed in blogging and get feedback from readers?
How to blog successfully: 6 important rules
Find your niche
Any blog needs a topic. Depending on your specialization and audience preferences, the topic can be broad, for example, “pop culture”, and narrow – “music of the 80s and 90s.” If the first articles received few views and reactions, choose another topic that is more relevant to the target audience.
Top popular blog content types:
- How to … Write about what you are a pro: cooking, PC repair, crafts, writing. Create master classes, recipes, photos and video tutorials.
- Notes. Life stories are a win-win if the goal is to establish emotional contact with the audience, to strengthen their trust in you.
- Reviews. The blog is suitable for publishing thematic collections. On the news portal, you can talk about the latest events in the world, in the online store – about the announcements of promotions, on the entertainment website you can provide summaries of articles for the week, in your personal online diary you can publish reviews of the books you have read, the films you have watched and more.
- Reports. Articles about travel and events written in the first person, and even with photo reports, are gaining thousands of views. Of course, if the number of photos does not exceed the amount of text, otherwise the essence of the article is lost. The exception is Instagram, where the visual component is important.
Follow your content plan
Make a publication plan for a month: fix the current topics of posts and the dates of their posting in the planner. This will be the starting point for blogging.
Follow your content strategy wisely, not being lazy to fulfill the generally accepted requirements:
- Be consistent and consistent. Publish articles evenly – one for each of the selected headings to maintain a balance of time-quantity. The best option is 3-4 times a week (ideally, once a day). This will increase the engagement of your readers and encourage them to follow the site.
- Pay attention to size. Aim for 500-700 words – that s enough to convey the message and captivate readers. Publishing longreads of 2000 words is allowed once a week. They must be mega-interesting and easy to read, then there is a high probability of entering the top 10 Google.
- Write in reserve. On average, a blog post takes 3.5 hours to write. But if suddenly the inspiration comes in the “off” hours – write and postpone the article. You will soon have a backup source of content in case of unforeseen situations.
- Use the services of a proofreader. Feel free to ask the professionals for help: after preparing the draft and selecting the images, send it to the proofreader / editor. It will help to correct minor bugs and “adjust” the article to the requirements of the site, for example, when it comes to the profile of a social network. So, about 55% of bloggers admit that they collaborate with editors.
Use multiple platforms
According to statistics, WordPress users create almost 70 million publications every month. If you are a beginner blogger, on this platform you can independently design a blog for yourself, but be prepared for difficulties in attracting search traffic.
It is recommended to have profiles on at least two platforms. Perhaps the most famous blog sites are Blogger and LiveJournal, popularly – LJ. Blogger provides a free domain, is easy to use, reliable, provides ease of integration, but lags behind the competition in terms of customization. LiveJournal simplifies teamwork in communities, allows you to connect Yandex.Metrica and Google Analytics, and supports multilingualism. Of the obvious disadvantages – an abundance of advertising, a paid domain and a minimum of templates for design.
Additionally, use the tools of social platforms:
- Yandex Zen. If you do not want to invest in promotion, but strive to monetize your blog, post here. Complete all requirements to automatically appear in recommendations.
- Telegram. Allows you to develop channels of any orientation for different target audiences by placing text notes, photos and videos in chronological order. For longreads, you need a Telegraph editor.
- Instagram. This is the best “youth” platform for visual content, but do not underestimate the power of texts – in combination with photos and videos, they receive powerful feedback.
- Facebook. If the content is aimed at an “older” audience, mainly foreign, registration on Facebook will pay off.
- LinkedIn. Suitable for companies whose goal is to become in demand in the professional community and find potential customers.
- Twitter… Designed for a wide audience – tweets are shown to thousands of users, not just subscribers.
Bloggers have mixed opinions about the importance of comments. The famous blogger Everett God has banned comments, as the blog, he said, “works” without them. And his opponent, Pat Flynn, called two-way communication one of the factors of successful promotion.
Either way, as a blog owner, you can remove spam and useless monosyllabic responses while maintaining meaningful inspiring reviews. And if you already decided to include comments, react to them in a timely manner, do not leave subscribers unattended.
Be in trend
Viral content creation is an art based on understanding industry trends. By making the articles work for you, you will promote your blog without additional investment.
Components of a viral post:
- cool headline: use 6-8 words and a colon / dash – this increases CTR by 21% and 9%, respectively;
- catchy text: write as if you were sharing a secret with your best friend;
- bright visual design: insert animations, pictures, videos, infographics so that the text does not look boring.
Write about a hot topic, ask controversial questions, or voice an unpopular point of view to create a forum for discussion.
Get inspired by other blogs
Subscribing to profiles of like-minded people will allow you to stay on top of discussion trends. It is enough to regularly view the content from the Fresh and Hot tabs to get an idea of the audience s interests and changes in the platform. Mentioning bloggers in articles (in a positive way) will create the basis for fruitful cooperation, organizing joint content projects, promotions and giveaways to attract subscribers from both sides.
Regardless of whether you are using your blog for a marketing or personal purpose, take it seriously: be consistent with posting content across all platforms, engage with your audience in posts and comments, and feel free to seek the opinions of colleagues who have already achieved blogging success.